Our next immersion mission trip to the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is scheduled for Saturday, August 11 to Wednesday, August, 15.
The cost of this trip is extremely low and ages 12 and up can participate. Please pray about how you might take part in this service opportunity!
Immersion Mission Trips
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation
We serve alongside Indian people of the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota, and build authentic relationships. Along the way learning and experiencing the lives of the Lakota Sioux and staying in the Black Hills a short time.
This cultural immersion experience fosters a culture of understanding and dialogue with people of diverse religious, ethnic, and socio-economic backgrounds.
These trips provide an opportunity to:
- learn about the history and culture of the Oglala Lakota Sioux
- come to understand the tremendous poverty, social injustice issues, and economic challenges that the Lakota struggle with every day
- explore the Jesuit connections and missions to the Native Americans
- meet and establish new friendships with the Lakota people
- connect with and engage in discussions with Jesuits currently serving on the Reservation
- participate in volunteer work on the reservation through the Pine Ridge Retreat Center
Short Term Missions
Casas por Cristo
Every three years, LCHS takes a mission trip to build a home for families in need through Casas por Cristo. This summer 2017, a team of 20 built home for a family in the Dominican Republic.
By working alongside the Dominican church and with Casas por Cristo we sought to alleviate financial burdens for a family and bring the hope of Christ to this remarkable land. With the provision of safe and secure housing, the largest tangible gift anyone will ever receive, we proclaimed the truth of God’s love not only to a family, but also to the Dominican community at large.
Mission trips like these allow for multi-generational involvement of volunteers from the church. Our 20 member team's age ranged from 13 to 70 years old. As a church in Centennial, CO, we feel called to serve not only in our local community but also globally.
In a world full of conflict, it is important to show love and seek out ways to help others. We sought to make an impact through the gift of shelter because we are called to be church in the world!